Monday, October 6, 2014

My Patronus is a Bookworm Monday: The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

Happy Monday! And thank you to all who were so kind about Friday's post. It makes me incredibly happy to have such great people in my life! Your words meant so much and showed me that this was just the kick in the pants I needed.

Today, I want to get back into what I made this blog for. It will become an amalgamation of all things I love and that obviously includes my love of reading. So many people ask me what books I suggest since I hardly make it 24 hours after finishing one book before starting another. Last night, I think I made it 3 minutes. Look, reading is my jam, alright?


Yesterday I finished The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty and I LOVED it. The Chaperone tells the story of Cora Carlisle (based on real life Alice Mills), who accompanies then unknown film star, Louise Brooks to NYC, during the summer of 1922. While the book touches on Louise Brooks' rise and subsequent fall from Hollywood It Girl, its main focus lies on the story of Cora Carlisle. While I don't want to give too much away, it's an interesting take on life in the early part of the 20th century and latter part of the 19th century and gave me pause to think about the way life must have been for so many.

                                                      Credit: (Pinterest)

Also, can we talk about how GORGEOUS Louise Brooks was? What a feisty broad. I love it. I love it when books encourage the reader to be more in depth about learning about real life characters. I need to pick up Brooks' autobiography, Lulu Forever, immediately. Also, that coat needs to get in my closet NOW. That whole look does, actually. I feel in a former life I was a flapper in the '20s. What a delight that would be. Though, Prohibition sure would put a damper on things. Bathtub gin for all! That's the title of my new book?

Even if you don't pick this book up, I hope it encourages you to pick something up and learn more about it (women in the 19th century, accordians, armadilloes, what have you). Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment