Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Taking a Look at the 'Basic' White Girl

Look. I'm gonna be honest with you. Pumpkin spice lattes are DELICIOUS. The first time I see advertisements for them, I get so excited, because it marks the arrival of my favorite season. Does that mean I'm a 'basic' white girl? I'll own it. What's wrong with loving pumpkin flavored anything? What's wrong with loving the hell out of something? Also, how come this term only comes out in the fall?

Buzzfeed presented a list, cleverly titled 25 Things All Basic White Girls Do During The Fall. Obviously, Buzzfeed is quite the reputable source for information. If the information you're looking for is random lists on food shaped like celebrities. The bulk of that list is something I know I do. But, honestly, who are you to make me feel bad about it? So, I like taking photos of the changing leaves. HOW DARE I? Maybe I do like my house to smell like a damn pumpkin patch in the autumn months because IT MAKES ME HAPPY.


Yep, that's a photo of my backyard after the heavy rain the other day, because the sun coming through the trees was DELIGHTFUL. Own the hell out of whoever you are. Stop letting sites like BuzzFeed make you feel bad because you love the hell out of some fall. If that makes me "basic," who really cares?

                                           (Me, a month ago, feeding a craving. I was parked at home.)

Also, what is the term 'basic,' really trying to accomplish? Is it just an amalgamation of every white girl? (Yeah, amalgamation--try that on for size, jerks!). It's interesting that this term only has any real traction come fall. The other 9 or 10 months out of the year, it doesn't exist. And how come there are never any 'basic white guy' posts? With frat guys taking pictures of their Keystone Lights and keggers? Because you know that shit exists.

Is it because pictures are put on Instagram or put on other social media platforms that girls get called out? Social media defines this generation. It's how most communication happens, let's not sugarcoat it. Yes, a lot of social media is filled with pictures of Pumpkin Spice Lattes and chunky sweaters and yoga pants. But social media is also used for good, for self-expression, for getting our voices out there and heard. You do you, guys and gals. YOU DO YOU. And the only thing basic about you, is how basically awesome you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment