Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Benefits of British Television

Next to boxed wine, I feel that Netflix is the greatest invention of our time. I find so many shows and specials on there that I've long forgotten and it always brings me back to a place of either childhood nostalgia or triumph at finding such treasures (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, FTW). One of my most delighted finds is the greatness of British television. Currently, I'm making my way through Doctor Who, but before that I was introduced to Miranda, Gavin & Stacey, and The Bletchley Circle. I almost prefer the shortened seasons that predominate the British television landscape (seasons can be as little as 6 episodes). And many of the same actors pop up in different shows, making it come a bit full circle.



Also, it has introduced me to how brilliant and wonderful David Tennant is, but that's neither here nor there. Though, seriously. Have you seen such delightfulness before? WHAT A DREAMBOAT. 


The reason I seem to gravitate more towards the British shows, isn't just the fantastic accents. It's the humor. The subtlety, the sharpness, the intelligence. There's no relying on what passes for humor here in the States, which, I'm sorry, most of which isn't funny and is downright rude a lot of the times. There's very few American comics who I find genuinely funny and that also espouse a way of living that doesn't make me want to punch them in the face. That's why I am so grateful for networks like the BBC and PBS, who bring such quality, intelligent programming to the US, instead of another season of I Slept With My Stepson, or whatever wonders TLC is bringing us these days. 

British television also allows for another viewpoint on the world, that's not coming from a strictly American upbringing or way of life. It allows, perhaps, a look in the mirror for us Yanks, to see how others view us and what, as a nation and culture, we could be better about. While we are awesome at a lot of things (hello, International House of Pancakes), there is always room for improvement. 

I always recommend the following shows to anyone looking for a new binge watching session: Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Miranda, The Bletchley Circle, Gavin & Stacey, Broadchurch, and anything with David Tennant in it. Most of these shows are actually on Hulu as well, which surprisingly has a much bigger selection of quality British programming, especially British comedies. Basically what I'm saying is, get a Roku. You will never leave your house again, or have to interact with dummies. And what is more American than that? 






No comments:

Post a Comment