Monday, September 15, 2014

Feeling fine at 29

As many of you know, Saturday was my 29th birthday. I entered the last year of my 20's in a much different place than I thought I would have 5 or 10 years ago. I thought, absolutely, no question, I would at least be married by now. Perhaps with a kid. But, whose expectations are those really? Mine? Or society's? Am I somehow less of a woman because I haven't settled down and procreated by now? The answer, quite simply, is no.

There are still days when I get upset because I come home to an empty house, no one there to spoon with or tell about my bad day. But then I think, I get to come home, put on sweats, drink a glass of wine and DO WHAT I WANT. You have to look at both sides of the coin. Would I like to be married? Share my life with someone? Absolutely. No questions about it. But, will I do that until I found the person who makes me feel like I can't get through my day without them? Nope. Nyet. Nah. Hell to the no. At 29 years old, I cannot tell you how many people I've gone to school with that are divorced. In their late 20's. Divorced is never a word I want used to describe myself. I know that's a far reach, a lofty expectation. But, I have been surrounded by strong marriages my entire life and I won't settle for anything less.


I have entered the last year of an up and down decade with the people I want by my side, the love, the laughter, the warmth that I need to survive. That is all that matters to me. The people that have come and gone over this last decade, I wish you well and hope for good things for you, but you weren't supposed to last forever on my journey, as I wasn't on yours.

Hope you all have had a great start to your week. Those leaves, they are a-changin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment