Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ladyfriend Thursday: Caitlin Moran

We haven't done a Ladyfriend day in quite awhile! I know they usually would fall on Wednesdays, but I like to mix it up, because I make the rules (I can totally pull off stern and disciplined, right? Thought so).  This Thursday brings us a lady after my own heart, some even call her the British Tina Fey.

                                                         Credit: (Pinterest)

Caitlin Moran is a well known critic and columnist in Britain and I recently fell in love with her. Too much? Didn't think so. She has two books of essaysthe above How To Be A Woman, and Moranthology. I sped through both in a matter of days. This fall, she's coming out with her first novel, How To Build A Girl, which I preordered as soon as I could. Look, I just love super strong, funny women who don't take any shit, alright? Even better that she's a broad I feel like I could get a whiskey with.

Caitlin Moran takes the idea of what it is to be a feminist and turns it on it's head. One of her better known quotes, is one of my all time favorites:

                                                             Credit: (Pinterest)

I think you can see why. Especially at a time when our cultural climate is so divisive and women are treated as if they're nothing more than an object, we need women like her more than ever. I will always preach the writings and words of women who fight for other women. Women who can stand up and go, "Look guys, this is some BULLSHIT. Some shit to the bull" (80 points if you get that reference).

Every time I get on social media, women are tearing other women down because of whatever they choose not to like about them (their hair, their makeup, their cat sweaters). Look, we don't all have to join hands and sing Kumbaya, but taking your vicious thoughts to a public platform only reflects poorly on you, not the woman you're calling out. We don't all have to like each other, but we're in this together, ladies. Women rule the damn world. Women support each other. Let's all pour ourselves a glass of wine and toast to our intelligent, hilarious, beautiful selves.

Check out Caitlin Moran, you won't be sorry.

Ladyfriends forever! (That's how I sign all yearbooks?).

No comments:

Post a Comment