Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My WCW Now and Always: Sophia Petrillo

For those aren't familiar with the acronym WCW, it stands for Woman Crush Wednesday. As much as I abhor the term, and much prefer the friendlier lady friend, I'll use it in this instance. How many of us grew up on The Golden Girls? How many of us can recite and sing along to every word of that theme song? All of us, amirite (by the way Google, in no way do I want to use the word emirate. How would that even come up in regular conversation)?

Making its debut in 1985 (the best year EVER), and still in syndication 29 years later, The Golden Girls tells the story of Dorothy, Blanche, Rose and Sophia as they navigate their golden years in Miami. My personal favorite and who I aspire to be is Sophia, Dorothy's mother, played by the wonderful Estelle Getty.

                                                         Credit: (Pinterest)

She fills my heart with such laughter that I can't help to hope to grow up to be just like her and start my stories with, "Picture it: Edwardsville, 2008." Every night, the show runs on the Hallmark Channel and I watch religiously, even though I've seen the episode a million times. It's still a show that holds weight today and much of their story lines are still absolutely relevant. And fun fact! Did you know that even though Estelle Getty was supposed to be the oldest, the matriarch, it was actually Betty White that was the oldest in the cast? Trivia for your next dinner party.

                                                                 Credit: (Pinterest)

Sophia is even going to be my Halloween costume this year! She loves fiercely, lives life with a humor unparalleled and rocks those glasses like no one's business. The top of my list of favorite lady friends. I, of course, will leave you with this.


Halfway through the week, pumpkins! (I like to make sure my pet names for you are seasonally appropriate).

No comments:

Post a Comment