Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ladyfriend Wednesday - Amy Poehler

                                                             (Credit: Pinterest)

A lot of people across the Internet designate Wednesdays as WCW- Woman Crush Wednesdays. To me, honestly, I find the phrase a bit ridiculous. If I have a crush on you, I have a crush on you. No need to put "girl crush!" in front of it. It's a bit lame to me. If you're a headstrong, fierce, funny and compassionate person- guess what? I probably really dig you. So, Wednesdays around here will be known as Ladyfriend Wednesdays. Ladyfriend is the term I use to describe my best girlfriends. I cannot tell you how many girlfriends are in my phone under "Ladyfriend!" It's a fun term to me, and creeps me out much less than "Woman Crush."  Ladies who I think are just the most wonderful people and who I would drink a whiskey and talk about life with.

And who better to start this off with than Amy Poehler?  Not only is she currently writing a book, starring in a network TV show, raising two sons, and just in general being the best friend we all want, she's relatable. She runs a wonderful, empowering site called Smart Girls at the Party, encouraging women and girls of all ages to be there best selves. She's just a real badass. And she gets to make out with Adam Scott on a regular basis.

I'm immediately drawn to anyone that is vociferous on behalf of the rights of women. Anyone that thinks it's absolute bullshit that it's 2014 and we're still having these debates. She's not afraid of the word 'feminist,' and all that it entails. NO ONE should be afraid of that word. OWN IT. Play to your strengths. And live by Amy's words: If a guy says something that's not funny, don't laugh. Stop dumbing yourself down to impress a dude. Because the right guy will think you're the bomb dot com. (People are still using that phrase, right?)

So, do me a favor. If you're not that familiar with Amy outside of Parks & Recreation or Baby Mama, Google her. Watch her speeches at events honoring other women, speaking with humor and grace about the planet's most badass inhabitants. The world needs more Amy Poehlers.

2 comments: