Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Patronus is a Bookworm Thursdays

                                                (Credit: Instagram)

As anyone who knows me well knows, I am a voracious reader. Have been since I was a little girl. I learned to read at 2 years old (yes, you read that correctly) from my maternal grandmother. If I'm not working, chances are I'm reading. If I could be paid to read for a living, I would jump at the chance. I love it so much that when people tell me they're not big readers, I look at them as if they've told me they don't like puppies. WHAAAAT? But, how could you not like to read? Letting your imagination create these vivid worlds away from the stresses and banality of everyday life is one of the greatest pleasures in life. I cannot even make it a full 24 hours after finishing one book before starting another. Therefore, Thursdays around here will be dedicated to life's literary pursuits.

Today, we'll start with Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I'm currently nearly halfway through the book after more than a month, which usually means I don't find the book particularly engaging. But, in this case that couldn't be further from the truth. Life has just gotten in the way lately. Set in Italy in the 1960's, Beautiful Ruins tells the story of Italian innkeeper, Pasquale and the way his life intertwines with the stories of characters in contemporary Los Angeles. It's written in a way that is so lyrically beautiful, you wonder how it is possible no one has made this particular string of words fit together before. I encourage all who have yet to read it, to put it on their lists immediately. It particularly resonates with me at the current moment for the message it sends about clinging to your dreams while doing what is necessary to live life.

And I hope if you do pick this book up, that it effects you in the way it has effected me. The way that all good literature should. I've always felt that if you can't go back and pick the book up again and be reminded of a familiar world, what's the point?

What are your favorite books? Do you have one? Isn't it odd that as an English major, I don't really have one particular favorite? To me it's like picking your favorite child. I JUST CAN'T DO IT, ALRIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment