Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Patronus is a Bookworm Thursdays: Emma


Happy Thursday, you beautiful unicorns! Hope you've all made it to the end of the week intact, unfrazzled and with a bottle of wine to enjoy. It being Thursday, that means it's time for another My Patronus is a Bookworm installment! This week we're looking at Emma by Jane Austen. I'm currently on a classics kick, making my way through the books I either read too long ago and forgot about, or haven't read at all.

Emma was written in 1816, Austen's fourth novel and is considered by many to be her finest. I'm partial to Mr. Darcy and Pride and Prejudice, but that's an entry for another day. The heroine at the center of the novel is, of course, Emma Woodhouse. Emma is of the persuasion that she knows best for everyone and engages in the art of matchmaking for her friend, Harriet Smith. For me personally, the character of Emma is one that's hard to connect with. At 21, Emma is just 7 years younger than myself and she's a character I wish I could shake her shoulders and say "Get your shit together, girl!" A common phrase I'm sure in 19th century England.

While attempting to match Harriet with unsuitable suitors, Emma quickly realizes she understands the feelings of others about as well as she understands her own. Written with an irony and wit that surprised me, the language and story itself is really quite good. And that Mr. Knightley? ME-OW. Mr.Knightley is not one to fawn over Emma and tell her what she wants to hear, he tells her what she NEEDS to hear. Whether she listens is up to her. And I think you all see where it's going. SPOILER ALERT.


Happy almost Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment