Wednesday, February 4, 2015

31 Day Challenge -- Day 2

Today's challenge is "things that complete my life." I could go on a multi paragraph post about my wonderful family and friends. I could go on and on about the books that get me through rough days or the glass of wine I always look forward to at the end of the day. But, in all honesty, there is only one thing that really 'completes my life,' whatever that means. And that's kindness. 

I have prided myself on being a kind person for a long time. Some days I fulfill that better than other days. You would know that if you were ever in a car with me (road rage for days, say what). I hesitate to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but being an asshat will only get you so far in life. I admit that there are situations where you need to be a bit of a jerkface, but no one likes a Debbie Downer, so suck it up, buttercup. 




I'll be honest, a few months ago, a situation arose that had been weighing on my mind pretty heavily. I knew I needed to cut loose some people that weren't benefiting my life in a way that I needed or wanted. I went about it in the only way I knew how, which was to be totally honest. Anyone who knows me knows that it's pretty tough for me to tell you exactly what I'm thinking in a way that I feel is honest but kind. I've gotten better about it, for sure, but it's still something I work on daily. While I got absolutely no response from the person, I could go to bed that night with a clear mind. I did what I felt was right for me and I did it in the way I felt was right. You can't guess how people will react in any given situation, you can just do your best to be true to yourself (after school special, starring me, to come in 2016).

Since then, I've filled my life with people who don't make me feel like I have to be judgmental. People who I can be honest with and know that my honesty is respected. What completes my life is to be true to myself. To know that Tara is taking care of Tara, that's what matters.

Look, kindness never goes out of style. People will always be more receptive to those that come at them from a place of understanding and not hate. Obviously, not everyone loves each other, as I made clear a few paragraphs above. And not everyone should be in your life. But, if you can handle those situations with a kind heart and a bit of levity, then that's all that counts. Don't let the bastards get you down.


No comments:

Post a Comment