Sunday, February 8, 2015

31 Day Challenge -- Day 5

Excuse the jumping ahead, but I just didn't think I could get through an entire post about my favorite animals (elephants, if you must know). Which puts us at #5, fears. If you had posed this to me a year ago, the answer would probably be much different. While some of the fears are the same, a lot has changed. But, you will never get me over my fear of birds. THAT IS HERE FOR A LIFETIME. It even has a name, ornithophobia. Ugh. Screw you, birds. SCREW YOU. 

I used to be afraid of ending up alone, of never finding the great love of my life. Now, while a bit of that fear stills lays latent, it's more about never finding the person who loves me like I love me. The last few years have been such a wake up call as to the men who I surround myself with. Ugh, some men are THE WORST. I think what I'm actually most afraid of is settling. I'm terrified that I'm going to settle just because 30 is around the corner and I haven't married yet. I am legitimately terrified of waking up one morning 20 years from now, rolling over and having the thought. "Ugh, you? SERIOUSLY?" 

And believe me, I can tell that there is some super judgment coming from people who are already married. I can almost see it rolling off of them. It's not even necessarily people my age, but when I'm continually asked if I'm seeing someone and than get the almost non-distinct eye roll when my answer is negative, it takes a lot of my strength not to punch you. 



A lot of other things scare me: the thought of never being a mother, of never finding a job I love, never getting to see the world and travel, and if I do get to be a mother, of raising my kids in a culture that denies BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS, just so many other things that would take pages and pages to fill up.

What are some of your fears, beauties? Fear of the unknown? Fear of flying? Fear of a world run by old white men who think they have any authority over your body? Fear of a post-Tina Fey/Amy Poehler Golden Globes hosting world? Share in the comments. We can get through this together. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment