Thursday, February 5, 2015

31 Day Challenge -- Day 3

Things I would do if I were brave? Oh man, do you have a year? I have a list a mile long of things I would do if I were braveR. I think the label of this particular challenge could have been worded a bit differently. Brave means different things to different people, and I think there have been plenty of times in my life where I've been brave, but had I been braveR? Now, that's a different story. 



Outside of the obvious jumping out of airplanes or swimming with sharks; if I were braver, I think the one thing I would want to do most is walk up to someone and tell them exactly how their treatment made me feel. I do have more than one person in mind, both males and females. I've never been one to lay my feelings out on the table if you've pissed me off or wronged me in some way. I tend to internalize and hold on to those emotions, later manifesting itself in a storm of anger/sadness. So for me to lay my cards on the table with someone, for me anyways, takes pretty much all the bravery I have. I have allowed people to talk to me or treat me in a way that is such utter BS. And the reason why, I think, is because I didn't love myself. I didn't realize everything I bring to the table. I don't need to be treated like queen of the world (just kidding, of course I do), but I do need to be treated with respect. Being able to feel like I can tell someone "look, that was really shitty and I don't appreciate being made to feel that way" is such a win for me. I want to scream it from the mountain tops. 

Bravery comes about in so many different ways. And it's something I've really worked on this last year. And the bravest I've ever felt was admitting, look, something is off balance here and putting myself on anxiety medication. I think, to the day I die, that will stand out as the bravest thing I've done. Because it shows me that I care about my mental well being more than the opinions of people who don't matter. 

Go forth and be brave, beauties! In whatever context you choose to do. You are wonderful human beings and I'm behind you 200%. 

No comments:

Post a Comment