Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ladyfriend Wednesday: Audrey Hepburn


How this beautiful lady was not first in this series, I don't know, but I'm rectifying that mistake now. Anyone who knows me, knows that my love of Audrey Hepburn runs deep. I've had a respect and an admiration for her for as long as I can remember. So much so, that a few years ago, I dressed up as Audrey for Halloween. The resemblance is uncanny, right?

                                                                    (Halloween 2011)

Any new book that comes out on Audrey, I snap up in a heartbeat. I cannot tell you the amount of movies/books/photographs I have in my home of her. To me, she epitomizes grace, class and style. Three things which I believe are greatly lacking, not just in Hollywood today, but everywhere. When did women stop being ladies? When did it become okay to wear clothes out of the house that look like they belong on a doll? When did manners go by the wayside? People will always ask me why I think I'm still single and my answer is very simple: I was raised with manners and self respect and I know what I deserve. I don't think I'm asking a whole hell of a lot when I'm asking for those same manners in return. Respect your ladies, dudes! And ladies, show that same respect. Let's all respect each other! What a novel idea!

Anywho, I've gotten off on a rant again and I apologize. Manners are just important! And not just to your significant other, but to your servers, your dry cleaner, your cobbler. What? I don't know. Just...RESPECT MORE! Now that I have sufficiently managed to sound like an episode of Sesame Street where R was the letter of the day, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

                                                      Credit: (Pinterest)

Many people just associate Audrey with Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady or Roman Holiday. And while all wonderful movies, and top of my list of favorites, she also not only starred in a plethora of other wonderful movies (seriously, check out Two For The Road, you won't be sorry), but was an amazing humanitarian who did such wonderful and gratifying work with UNICEF, and was bestowed the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Instead of just remembering Audrey for her beauty, remember that she was the daughter of a Nazi sympathizer and spent her teens raising money for the Dutch resistance against the Nazis. By just remembering that she's pretty, we are doing her an incredible disservice. It's almost like saying her post film career didn't matter. Read up and educate yourself on Audrey, because I don't just admire and like her for her beauty. I admire her for the simple fact that she had a kind heart. And that's all that really matters.

Happy Wednesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment