Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Patronus is a Bookworm Thursday: I Am That Girl


Happy Thursday! You've made it to the end of the week - just one more day! Hopefully you've poured yourself a glass of wine, as I have done. :) Since it's Thursday, it's obviously time for another installment of My Patronus is a Bookworm. This week, we're looking at I Am That Girl: How To Speak Your Truth, Discover Your Purpose and #bethatgirl by Alexis Jones (yes, the title has a hashtag, GET OVER IT.). I have yet to read it, I just received it today, but I have been itching to read this ever since Sophia Bush shared that she had done the forward. At this current time in my life, when I feel like everything is up in the air and I don't know what life will look like in 5 years, this is just the book I need.

An excerpt:

               "This life is too short for you to waste it wondering, "What if?" So be bold. We all have it in us, even you, my dear, whether you know it or not. It just takes deciding to punch your pride in the face, to forget about what "they" think, and to go for it. It means making the choice that you are willing to put in tireless hours of work and that you are unwilling to quit, unwilling to back down, unwilling to be distracted or deterred. Boldness is a choice we are all presented with, a state of mind, a way of being. If you don't try, you won't succeed. If you don't shoot, you'll never score. If you don't leap, you'll never know what you are made of, and you'll wake up at the end of a very long life and wish you had danced more." (Page 174)

Such powerful stuff.

The book goes into how you can be the best version of yourself, which I realize may sound a little self-helpy to people. But, for me, it's just what I need to hear right now. It is a book that empowers women to create the most awesome life they can and to live their truth. In fact, there's not just a book, there's entire "I Am That Girl" movement and I encourage you to check out their website to better inform yourself of this wonderful organization. I link to it at the end of this post.

Alexis Jones is the founder of the non-profit I Am That Girl and a powerful voice in the Generation Y women's movement. Please, do yourself a favor and inform yourself of the wonderful work being done.

                                                         Credit: (PopSugar)

I Am That Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment