Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Patronus is a Bookworm Thursdays

Happy Thursday! Hope everyone has been able to enjoy the beautiful day. Come on Spring, I know you can do it. :) Normally Thursdays are dedicated to life's literary pursuits, but honestly, I'm totally drawing a blank today on what to talk about. I have at least 98,786 new books to read on my nightstand and once I get into those, Thursday's posts will be ridic.

I do, however, want to mention this wonderful act of kindness I saw while out and about today. Before I start, let me preface by saying that, as naive as it may sound, I'd like to believe that people are inherently good. I know that's not the case necessarily and this world is filled with sick bastards. And while trying to tell this story, I was met with instant negativity. And to me, that is just incredibly sad. That the first place your mind goes is to somewhere bad. It breaks my heart that because so much of the news these days is horrible, our minds immediately go to a negative place when we hear of something good. And maybe it wasn't good, maybe I really am naive. But for me, I'd like to believe the world is filled with at least a small amount of kind -hearted people. It helps me get through my day (as does a whiskey cocktail) and helps blind me to the jackholes that do populate the planet.

Anywho, I was heading out on a couple of errands when I was stopped at a red light. To my right, there's a bus stop. A woman was standing there who happened to be in a boot and on crutches. A truck pulled over her to offer her a ride so that she didn't have to stand there, waiting and uncomfortable. While I thought the action was very sweet and such a wonderful act of kindness, I know others don't see it that way. And what was shocking is that my mind didn't go where a lot of other people's did. I didn't think it could be any thing other than one human extending a kindness to another. Let's just all be kind to each other. It breaks my heart that my mind has to process "Are they really being nice or is there an ulterior motive?" That should never be the case. Like I mentioned earlier in the week, we're all going through this together. And look, I'm not stupid enough to think the world isn't filled with dickbags and sick bastards. I know it is. I know the world can be cruel and terrible and unfair. That's why these small acts of kindness to our fellow man are so important.

All I ask is that you pay it forward. Do something genuine and kind for someone that you don't know. I try and do that every day, and I'll tell you, it comes back to me. Kindness is always in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment