Monday, April 14, 2014

Spread Love!

Happy Monday, you wonderful people! Hope everyone made it through the day alright and is currently curled up at home out of this weather. Seriously, Spring, we get it. You don't want to be upstaged by winter. What a drama queen.

Anyways, today's post is taking a little bit of a different turn. I want to talk about the incessant negativity that seems to be permeating social media today. I touched on this a bit on Facebook, but want to get a little more in depth. We all have bad days. We all have days where we'd rather stay at home under the covers and binge watch Friday Night Lights on Netflix. I get it. I have those days quite a bit. And they seem to be happening more and more lately, what with everything happening in terms of job searching. But, you know what I try not to do? I try not to take to my Facebook account or any of my social media accounts and blast my negativity everywhere. Sometimes, I admit, it can't be helped. And I've bitched about bad driving, rudeness, et al. But, after going through my newsfeed and seeing such blatant negativity and rudeness, I decided things had to change.

                                                 (Credit: Pinterest)

I decided that I will only be using social media to spread positivity and love. To see some of the comments that go along with others' status updates is unreal to me. That people can be so vicious and cruel is unreal to me. UNREAL. Where did you learn this hatred and why do you carry it with you? I always think of the Debbie Downer sketches on SNL with Rachel Dratch, every time I see a negative status. I feel like next time you're going to be telling me the statistics of feline aids (please tell me you've seen these sketches, otherwise that sentence will make me sound RIDICULOUS).

Can we please just all stop being absolute assholes to each other? We're all in this together. We're all going through our own shit, we're all just trying to make it through the day. Stop judging others because they get through their day differently than you do. You're not the only person who's car won't start/hair looks terrible/feels like shit, et al. If you don't like something, that's fine. You don't have to like everything or everyone, that would be really boring, man! But, you do need to show respect and tolerance. Because honestly, making fun of someone for loving something is just a real dick move, dude. BE KIND. Stop tearing others down because they happen to like something that you find not so great. You know what? I hate the hell out of geometry, so guess what? I JUST DON'T DO IT. Take that approach. You don't like something or someone? THAN WALK AWAY. DON'T ENGAGE. It's not rocket science.

I know this might sound really after school specialy, I get that. But, the times I have shown kindness and love, I've gotten it back in spades. And what you show in negativity and hate, will also come back. Listen to the wise words of the ultimate British dreamboat, Tom Hiddleston:

                                                                  (Credit: Pinterest)

And on those days where you find it really hard to bite your tongue, may I suggest investing in this:

                                                     Credit: (Pinterest)

If you're reading this, know that I think you're a hell of a human being. You're going places, kid. (I'm also Humphrey Bogart). You is kind. You is smart. You is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment